Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Waiting game

Well I thought I would hear from Sedan about being their Spanish teacher for next year after their board met last night. Thanks to the weather however, the board meeting was cancelled. They haven't decided when it will be rescheduled, so I wait. I visited the school last week and was impressed with the relationships between staff and students. It will take a while to feel comfortable in a new system where everyone knows me, but I couldn't be much more clueless. Another thing I noticed when I was at Sedan was the various depictions of their mascot the blue devil. I've been a wildcat since high school so the switch to something else, especially something like a devil, seems almost dark. Luckily after a little research on the famous Duke Blue Devils I learned the mascot is more patriotic than religious, whew ;) Below is a little history I took from www.duke.edu (wouldn't want to forget to cite my source).
uring World War I the Chasseurs Alpins, "les Diables Bleus," were well known French soldiers. They first gained attention when their unique training and alpine knowledge was counted upon to break the stalemate of trench warfare in their native region of the French Alps...When the United States entered the war, units of the French Blue Devils toured the country helping raise money in the war effort. Irving Berlin captured their spirit in song describing them as "strong and active, most attractive . . . those Devils, the Blue Devils of France."

And for your viewing pleasure...

farcy_blue_devil-tn.jpgThe French Blue Devil


blue-devil.jpgThe Sedan Blue Devil


That's all for now. Hopefully no more tornados and severe weather keep me from getting a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment