Thursday, May 27, 2010

It's Summa Time

I should hopefully be posting more frequently now that my days at Fredonia High School are offically finished. The last day of school was less than exciting, so much so that I didn't have one little tingle of the last day of school feeling. I'm not sure if the kids weren't happy about what their summers held, or if there was so much apathy towards school that the break summer provides is not much different than the break they've been all year. Either way, I'm pumped about summer and think it's fitting to start the break off on the right foot by sharing my list of the top things I want to get done. I am now held accountable by all my followers.

1. Create our wedding scrapbook.
I'll be honest I did not have the artsy photographer who can snap photos from creative viewpoints and more importantly artistically edit them later. If I had to do it all over I would probably choose a photographer whose focus is catching the littlest of details and making the normal seem like a piece of artwork. Still, I have quality pictures from our wedding and plan to add my own creativity by making a scrapbook. I'm hoping and guessing that my final product will prove to be more special to me than what any expensive photographer could have done.
Here's an example of what I mean by "artsy" photography.













2. Outline school year.
I hold no ideal notion that I can write lessons for a year and have the school year follow my exact plan. However, I know all too well that half the time it takes to create lessons comes down to making handouts, presentations, etc. and doing the research. I know the basic things we'll cover next year in Spanish, so having a general idea of how the year will progress, making a few standard handouts, and really hashing out what my expectations are for the class will be a big step towards having a survivable first year of teaching. I'll have a better idea what exactly I want to get done before school starts once I have a textbook chosen.

3. Yard work/House work
These are pretty self explanatory. I am struggling with my green thumb. Things I've planted are living, but there are a few things that look a little worse for wear. I've come to the conclusion that flowers are like babies, things happen to them that make them unhappy, but they are unable to tell me what's wrong. We'll see how well my plants are doing come August. I hope to be quite the nurturer in the end.
4. Read...A LOT!
Getting a library card was the highlight of my day, which is anything but lame in my mind. With it I checked out three books, all of them historical fictions. I feel motivated by my to do list, but reading could be the one thing that takes my focus off what I should get done. Not the worse thing to happen, but I'm sure Daniel would not appreciate the excuse that I could not make supper or mow the yard for days at a time because I was reading a good book. I'll keep you updated on the pages read to other tasks worked on ratio throughout the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment