Thursday, January 28, 2010

Back to school

I finally got the chance to sub!!!! It was for a 5th grade class and my biggest concern was having to do recess duty. Luckily it was indoor recess today...instead of being cold, students just went crazy. Overall it was a great day and I realize how much I miss being in the classroom even if grade school is a whole different ballgame. The following are the quirks, highlights, or just interesting facts about the day.

1. I find myself saying "muy bien" when students answer correctly because Spanish has penetrated the deepest parts of my soul...or maybe it's just that's what I'm used to teaching. Along the Spanish lines, students wanted to know how their names would be spelled in Spanish. Much to their dismay, I had to let them know that Spanish uses the same alphabet as English.

2. The lunch room had a stop like machine that measured the volume of the students. If the red light ever lit up students had to get really quiet. I must say it's an ingenious idea.

3. I am happy to report that I did not have to eat my soup cold. I was nervous that it would be locked (like it is at Fredonia) or there would be such a long line for the microwave that the little sub wouldn't get a chance at it. This tragedy was avoided when the other fifth grade teacher, who was so helpful, walked me down to the lounge and alas there was no line. In addition to my soup, I ate from a big bag of Skittles and threw the yellow and green into my lunch box. As you might guess, I'm not a fan of the green and yellow ones. I hesitated for a minute because I'm a professional and should be able to eat things like vegetables and yellow and green Skittles, but I just couldn't hinder the weeding out process I am very much dedicated to.

4. This is probably the best laugh from the day. I was walking down to the classroom this morning and from the mouth of an unknown lad came "You're hot!" I kept walking not wanting to give attention to his comment. I later got a visit from this young gentleman and he apologized. At first I didn't know who he was because I hadn't looked at the cat caller, but when the accompanying principal asked him what he was sorry for it didn't take too long to put two and two together. She said a third grade teacher had heard the comment and was quick to let the principal know about the incident. I came away from the situation now having proof that kids can't help but be honest ;)

2 comments:

  1. welcome to the blogging world, mrs. kelly! looking forward to reading more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! This was great to read! And you have to admit, you are hot! LOL That's a fabulous first subbing experience. Hope yu enjoy it more! You have to tell me what school was your first one at?

    ReplyDelete