Thursday, July 21, 2011

June and July Update

Well it's official...in less than a month (28 days to be exact) school will be back in session. When I say it out loud I realize I sound silly for thinking 28 days is not a lot of time, but in relation to the 60 or so days I'v already had...28 left YIKES!

I've had a blast this summer and I have plenty to share about the past month and a half or so.

1. Mission Trip - Daniel and I were sponsors for our youth group mission trip to Lincoln, NE. IT WAS A BLAST!!! My favorite part of the trip was building deeper relationships with the kids. If you asked Daniel his favorite part, he'd probably say winning the rock, paper, scissors competition we had one night before the speaker :) It was also nice to do something so purposeful with my time. Not only did we get to pour into students' lives, but our service project and the speaker made the experience full and rich. We stayed and UNL and while it wasn't K-State it was so refreshing to be on a campus just doing life with some awesome people.
Did I mention how fun these kids were?!? And check out the fence we built.

2. Foster Kitten - Well it seems like our house has some force field that draws kittens in once a year. This year we snagged a little orange baby. I knew Daniel didn't want multiple cats, but I couldn't help but clean her up. After spending a night waking up every few hours to tend to her hunger or bathroom needs, I had a whole new appreciation for motherhood. Daniel's brother is getting married in August and they had been thinking about getting a cat. PERFECT! The only thing is they can't take her until Labor Day, so they named her Riley and asked us to watch her until then. (Daniel's name suggestion was Camo because she blends into the wood tones of our kitchen table. Dipstick, Camo, I'll be taking charge on kids names) So Dipstick and Riley have a while longer to be best buds.


3. Yard - It is so HOT!!! I get bummed when I think about how many days it's been over 100, but on the bright side I really don't have to mow the yard. We are watering quite a bit, though. I realized I never shared before and after pictures of our exterior redo. Well, it's finished and the plants are hanging in there.









4. 2nd Anniversary - Daniel and I celebrated 2 years last week! We saw Transformers in 3D. It may not sound all that romantic, but last year we were in the Redwoods, which was a place I had never been, and this year I saw a 3D movie, which is something I had never done. So with that in mind, it was pretty cool. One of my students was sitting behind us. I must not be too cool because as soon as the movie was over he hurried out without saying hi. Then again, I broke teacher code by being some place other than school. I remember how much it weirded me out to see my teachers at the grocery store.

5. Chicago - My mom, brother and I got to visit my sister in Quincy, IL. We took the train to Chicago, again something I've never done. It was really relaxing to ride the train, but I was sad to realize it wasn't like traveling to Hogwarts. Overall it was a really cool trip. The train ride home was probably one of the most entertaining parts of the day. Two guys had taken their moms to a White Sox's game. One of the moms had gotten a little tipsy. Luck would have it that they took their seats right in front of us. The tipsy mom shared with Caroline and I that she had been a bad girl and lost a $1.25 out of a tiny pocket on the front of her shirt. In an attempt to be a good son, the one man bought his mom plenty of water from the food car, but the rest of the group was still drinking beer. Needless to say, she wasn't fooled and she let them know as much. You probably had to be there, but seeing the look on my brother's face when I told him that would be him and mom someday was so funny.





No comments:

Post a Comment