Friday, October 29, 2010

One month at a time

As I sit here writing Dipstick is preciously curled up on my lap, I'm looking out at the frost on the ground, and enjoying a much appreciated day off of work. I also realize while writing this that monthly post are probably going to be the norm for a while. So enjoy a recap of October's happenings.



School is going. There are days I'm sick to my stomach about the apathy of kids. Yesterday I seriously hoped a kid would punch me because it would mean he would have to be removed from my class. My students are really pretty cool kids, but encouraging students to move past indifference and become self sufficient learners is an unbelievably complex, complicated, and draining process...hence the desperate wish to be punched so I could end the battle without admitting defeat. On the bright side I have been proposed to by a student, so if I just can't handle teaching I can take him up on his offer and become a criminal....HA!



Daniel and I both celebrated birthdays this month, but despite being another year older I still look like a 17 year old in my school picture. Speaking of pictures...I was in charge of picture day at Sedan. There were nothing short of horror stories told to me about this day. I really had no clue what I was doing and orchestrating a picture schedule for PK-12 was daunting. So, on picture day I took a Dr. Pepper just in case things got really bad and prepared for the unknown. Despite the horror stories and my concerns, the day ran really smoothly. I drank my Dr. Pepper in victory rather than defeat and by 7th hour I was a little giddy for a job well done (if I do say so myself).

And now for a final laugh. In light of the cooling weather I wanted to make something falltastic for dinner. Potato soup came to mind and last night I baked the potatoes so they'd be ready to go for today. Unfortunately I didn't stop baking them until 3:30 this morning. Dipstick was meowing and it woke me up enough to realize that I had forgotten to take them out of the oven...oops. I tried to salvage my mistake, but there were blisters on the potato skins and they were pretty hard. Luckily we still had soup tonight and it gave Daniel a chuckle when I told him this morning. I still have a ways to go until domestic goddess is my name, but I can live with teacher extraordinaire for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment