Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Soakin' in the Sunshine

I should maybe re-title this soaked by the sunshine. This past weekend Daniel and I went to his family farm to help out, which is the closest thing you'll have on most farms to a Father's Day celebration in late June. In the afternoon Daniel and I raked and bailed hay. I got the job of raking in an open air tractor, thus meaning the amount of air conditioning was determined by how quickly I drove against the wind. It actually wasn't all that bad, but somehow my clothes were stuck to my body like a leather jumpsuit. Daniel showed me the ropes the first couple times around and I had moments of roller coaster like screaming. Those pesky hills seem huge even if we were only going 10 mph. I got the hang of things pretty quickly except that while trying to not re-rake some hay I got too close to a brush area and hit the outside rake wheel on a tree. It bent the frame holding the wheel a little and as a result the wheel wasn't spinning like it should. Luckily Daniel and I switched it with the back wheels and things were good to go. Lynn (Daniel's dad) said it was no big deal...I just had to heat it and beat it back into shape the next time I came...I considered the day a success because we helped accomplish something, my pores were fully purified, I'm on a hydration kick (it's amazing how far I'm from getting the recommended amount of water/day), and I didn't get sunburned.

In other news, our women's church league softball team is 2-0. Our first win came by default of another team's forfeit, which left me wondering how good we actually would be, but last night we rallied to win 5-4. I had a great time and forgot how much fun it is to play on a team, especially a team who is humbled by the passing of time since playing in high school, but still puts together some respectable fielding and needed hitting.

Dipstick is into chasing his (we're 90% positive it's a he) tail. I guess when something is the opposite color from the rest of your body it only seems natural to not realize it's yours. He is becoming very playful and loves to jump and tackle things. Don't worry, Dipstick is still able to find plenty of time to sleep.

Finally, am I the only one who can't believe next Sunday is the 4th of July?!?! Seriously, it doesn't seem possible that almost a year ago I was about to get married. I still distinctly remember last year's 4th since it marked the one week to go point and I assure you that memory is too fresh to be essentially a year old. Point being, I'm fascinated with the passing of time right now, something I imagine only increases with age, and I need to get on my teaching and scrapbooking projects before I find myself wondering how it's already August!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment